Page images

which was over him. Not far from this man was another dead body very similarly mutilated. Not far from these, again, were six workmen, some partly buried and others wholly so, all burnt and scalded, and some suffering from fractured limbs and contusions about the head and other parts of the body. Their shrieks for help were very pitiful. Vehicles with straw and blankets were got with as little delay as possible, and these six sufferers, together with a seventh, who, though very much hurt, yet in his desperation had run to a cottage in a row 150 yards from the works, were all taken to the South Staffordshire Hospital in Wolverhampton, where they arrived before twelve o'clock. By two o'clock one of the seven had ceased to live. The boiler was an old one, which up to the spring of last year had been some time out of use, but when the new side was at that time started, was patched up and put again upon duty. A more complete rending was never known in the Black Country. One fragment, of about the size of three ploughshares, shot close by a woman engaged upon a bank 100 yards away, and buried itself by her side; while another piece of similar size passed high over her head, and now stands driven through the roof of a cottage in a row of cottages 150 yards away. The boiler on the old side of the works was insured in the Midland Boiler Inspection and Assurance Company, and was therefore under the supervision of the officers of that association, but the boiler which exploded was under neither assurance nor inspection. The first body referred to was that of Daniel Homer, an underhand puddler, of Walbrook, aged 19. The second found was not identified; he was a stranger, and had probably gone to the fires to warm himself. The man who died in the hospital was James Parker, aged 23, of Moxley. The engineer in charge of the boiler was on the works at the time, but escaped with slight injuries.

lĩ. EMBARKATION OF MR. PEABODY'S REMAINS.—The remains of this great benefactor of the industrious poor were embarked at Portsmouth on board her Majesty's turret-ship“ Monarch,” Captain John Commerell, V.C., C.B., for conveyance across the Atlantic to Portland, Maine, United States, and the ceremony was attended with all the respect and honour that could possibly be rendered where the last and most solemn of all tributes to the dead had already been paid by the Crown, the Government, and the nation in the funeral service held over Mr. Peabody's remains in Westminster Abbey. The flags of the two great nations floated together over the ships, the cannon, and the armed men of both assembled there in honour of the dead. The Monarch, in all her grim effectiveness as a ship of war, with her monster guns peeping out through the turret ports, bulwarks thrown down, steam up, and the white ensign of the British Navy flying from her peak, lay alongside the railway jetty of the dockyard, in readiness to receive the body on board. On her quarter-deck were grouped her officers in undress uniform, with Captain J. Commerell at their head, and along the midship and forward parts of the deck were drawn up the marine artillery and light

[ocr errors]

infantry belonging to the ship. A broad temporary gangway led from the dockyard railway jetty to the ship's upper deck, and at the jetty end of this gangway were grouped the Mayor of Portsmouth, in his robes and chain of office, accompanied by his chaplain, the Rev. E. P. Grant, Vicar of St. Thomas's, Portsmouth, the mace (presented to the Corporation by Charles II.), and the various aldermen and members of the Corporation in their robes of office. From the "Monarch” to the north gate of the dockyard-about a quarter of a mile in distance—were posted two lines of marines and seamen, resting on their arms, and facing each other, through which the funeral train would pass to the" Monarch” on entering the dockyard. Looking from the deck of the “Monarch," the post of honour on the port hand, and next the ship’s gangway, was held by the marines and seamen of the United States' screw corvette “Plymouth,” under the command of Captain Macomb, and the officers of the corvette, with whom was Mr. William Thompson, United States' Consul for the district. The opposite line on the starboard hand was held by the marines and seamen from her Majesty's ships in harbour, and officers and men of both nations thus stood facing each other under arms, united in one common mission of peace and friendship. Captain Hancock, Flag Captain to Port Admiral Sir James Hope, K.C.B., was in command of the English seamen and marines, having under him as subordinate officers Major Hunt, of her Majesty's ship “ Duke of Wellington,” and Commander Maxwell, R.N., of her Majesty's ship “Excellent.” Admiral Sir James Hope, K.C.B., and Rear-Admiral Astley C. Key, C.B., F.R.S., Superintendent of the dockyard, arrived on the jetty immediately after the marines and seamen had taken up their positions, as did also Colonel Willes, C.B., Deputy Quartermaster-General for the South-West Military District, as the representative of Lieutenant-General Sir George Buller, K.C.B., who was absent from the garrison on temporary leave. A large number of naval and military officers, not on duty, were also present in undress uniform, and there was a large attendance of the general public, notwithstanding the unfortunately inclement state of the weather. The strong north-easterly winds which had previously prevailed for some time in the Channel had been succeeded, after an interval of dense fogs and changing winds, by a strong south-westerly breeze, bringing with it a drizzling rain, which, by the time the marines and seamen took up their positions, had increased to a steady downpour. The special train conveying the body and the friends of the deceased from London (which had been provided free of expense by the London and SouthWestern Railway Company as a testimony of their respect for the character and virtues of the late Mr. Peabody) was appointed to arrive in the dockyard at three p.m., and precisely at that time a gun fired from her Majesty's ship“ Excellent,"answered by another from the“ Monarch’s ” bow battery, and the sharp blasts of the bugles along the lines of the marines and seamen, announced the arrival of the funeral train within the dockyard, the" Monarch "and all other of


[ocr errors]

her Majesty's ships in harbour at the same moment dipping the British ensign at their peaks to “half mast," and displaying the American ensign flying dipped to abreast their foretopmast crosstrees, the United States' corvette “ Plymouth” also lowering her ensign from her peak. The guns of the "Duke of Wellington” took up the firing at minute intervals, and amid their sombre booming, with the wind, now increased to a fresh gale,“ soughing” through the" Monarch's” rigging,

a and the rain falling heavily, the train rolled slowly in and drew up on the edge of the jetty. What now remained to be done was the work of but a few minutes. The black cloth-covered case containing the coffin, having been removed from the railway car, was borne to the ship, followed by the relatives and friends of the deceased who had accompanied it from London--the Hon. Mr. Motley, United States' Minister in this country; Mr. Peabody Russell ; Sir Curtis Lampson and Mr. Charles Reed, M.P., executors of the will of the deceased ; Mr. J. S. Morgan, and Mr. Somerby. Behind the immediate mourners came Admirals Sir James Hope and A. C. Key, Captain Hancock, and a number of American and English officers. The coffin, on reaching the deck of the “Monarch,” was received by the chaplain of the ship, and a few moments afterwards was reverently deposited on the bier in the pavilion on the quarter-deck, in official charge of Captain Commerell. Then followed a very brief interval, during which a few words were exchanged between the American Minister, Mr. Peabody Russell, with their friends, and Captain Commerell, and then all not belonging to the ship returned to the shore. The warps holding the ship to the jetty were let go, steam was given to the engines, and as the screw began to revolve the great ship moved away from the jetty, and under slow speed proceeded out of the harbour to Spithead.

After the “Monarch " had been brought to an anchor at Spithead, the coffin was removed from the pavilion on the upper deck and placed in the mortuary chapel below, where it was to remain during the voyage, the chapel being closed and placed under the charge of marine sentries.

Cabin accommodation was provided on board the “Monarch " for Mr. Peabody Russell, who took passage in the ship to Portland.

Shortly afterwards, the “Monarch,” accompanied by the United States' screw corvette “Plymouth,” Captain Macomb, left Spithead for Portland.

13. EXECUTION OF FREDERICK HINSON.–Frederick Hinson, convicted at the last Sessions of the Central Criminal Court of the murder of Maria Death, with whom he, a married man,

had cohabited for some years at Wood Green, near Colney Hatch, and who also was indicted for the murder of William Douglas Boyd, was duly executed within the precincts of the gaol at Newgate.

Hinson had committed the double crime under the belief that his paramour Death had been unfaithful to him with Boyd.

18. GREAT FLOODS.--The heavy rains which had been falling for some days previous, caused great floods in many parts of England. In the midland counties they were very destructive, and in the Vale of Trent thousands of acres were submerged. On the nights of this and the following day the river rose rapidly at Nottingham, and on the 20th, reached within about a foot and a half of the water-mark of the great flood of 1856 (the highest on record). A portion of the Midland line of railway near the Nottingham station was flooded.

Operations at the new Trent-bridge, in course of erection, were entirely suspended; but no material damage was done, with the exception of some timber being washed away. Many owners of stock were engaged during the greater part of the night of the 19th in removing their cattle from the vicinity of the water. A pony was drowned in the meadows. The Loughborough turnpike road for a considerable distance was submerged, and navigation in the Trent and canal was stopped, the towing-path being impassable for horses. The cellars of the houses and factories situated in the meadows were flooded, and the gardens were covered with water.

At Derby the flood was the greatest known since the memorable one of the 1st of April, 1842. On the 17th the Derwent began rapidly to rise, and this afternoon it overflowed its banks at Little Chester, Derby, doing an immense amount of damage, and causing great consternation among the inhabitants of that populous neighbourhood. During the whole of this evening the water continued to rise, and the next morning it was from four to five feet deep in the houses at City-road and the neighbourhood. Boats were introduced into the streets, and the imprisoned families, who had taken refuge in the upper stories, were supplied with provisions, &c. St. Paul's Church was completely “blocked up” with water, and no service was held on Sunday. Nottingham-road was as bad, if not worse, than Little Chester, and great damage was inflicted at the corn warehouses in the neighbourhood. At the public-houses known as the Punch Bowl, the Jolly Toper, and the Seven Stars, the water was above the shutters on the ground floor. The Birmingham branch of the Midland line was also flooded.

At Manchester the Irwell rose above danger point, and the water entered the cellars of the houses over a very wide area, from Lower Broughton-road to Strangeways, including the following streets :Sussex-street, Elton-street, Sandon-street, the Adelphi, Silk-street, and several of the smaller streets running out of these. In Bury New-road, at the end of Broughton-lane, the water was 2 ft. deep in some of the cellars. The flood had the appearance of being the

. highest since November, 1866.

In consequence of the swollen state of the Mersey a number of houses in Warrington and Latchford were flooded. The fields adjoining the river were also under water to a considerable depth.

In Shropshire and North Wales the rains also produced floods almost unprecedented in the present century. In Shrewsbury, where the rivers Severn and Rea join, the water continued to rise through the whole of this and the following day, inundating the


suburbs at each entrance to the town. On the afternoon of the 19th it rose so high as to submerge a vast number of houses in the low-lying districts up to the second stories. In the course of the afternoon and evening there came down a tremendous rush of water, causing the greatest alarm to residents in localities which had never before been disturbed. The worshippers in the Abbey Church, which stands at some considerable distance from the river, had but just time, to escape from evening service without having to pass through water, and on the 20th the flood had so much increased that the whole floor of the building was covered with water, in some parts to the depth of from 9 to 12 inches. Many families were driven to their uppermost rooms, to which food was conveyed from boats and rafts, on forks or by other means.

Some families were rescued from their dwellings by means of ladders, and at every entrance to the town where the roads were submerged to a considerable depth, boats, cabs, waggons, and rafts were in constant requisition to convey parties from the country and outskirts to the centre of the town. An immense amount of damage was done to stock and property. Buildings were washed away, sheep were seen floating down the streams, and an immense quantity of timber was carried from timber-yards adjacent to the river. All round the town the meadows presented an almost boundless expanse of water, and at Melverley, a low-lying district behind the Briedden hills, between Shrewsbury and Welshpool, the cottagers were entirely driven from their homes, and the land for miles presented a frightful waste of waters, with only the tops of trees here and there breaking the view. There was no actual loss of life, but there were some narrow escapes.

22. MURDER AND SUICIDE AT EWELL.-Considerable excitement was created in the usually quiet village of Ewell, near Epsom, about half-past three a.m. by a loud explosion, at first supposed to proceed from the powder-mills close to the village. It appeared, however, that about the time mentioned a person named Spooner was preparing to come up to London with a load of flour, and his housekeeper was getting breakfast for him. She went out of the house to get some coals, and saw a man waiting outside. She returned to the house screaming, and Spooner closed in a struggle with the man who had followed her. In the struggle the stranger, whose name was Huggett, threw a bag of some explosive substance on the fire, and the house was blown pretty well to pieces, the wall dividing one house from the other being blown down. A man employed as a porter at the South-Western station at Ewell, who had recently come to the station, had some of his ribs broken and sustained other serious injuries. Spooner was seriously hurt, and after lingering a few days died of the injuries he had received. The author of the mischief afterwards committed suicide by stabbing himself.

The inquest on the body of Huggett was held before Mr. W. Carter, coroner for East Surrey, at the Hop Pole Tavern, opposite


[ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »